Located between Russia and the nations of Poland, Slovakia, and Hungary, Ukraine is a bridge of sorts between the East and the West. They suffer under civil unrest and Russian intervention. The east European country is digging in because they are convinced Russia wants over-run it and topple its pro-West government. The war in eastern Ukraine hasn’t just been about territory — religion has deepened the divide. In Donetsk, Protestants are being forced to conduct their services in apartments, persecuted by pro-Russia separatists who believe there’s only room for one religion in the region: Russian Orthodoxy. Pro-Russian separatists raided a Pentecostal church service in eastern Ukraine and kidnapped four Christian leaders. Some 35 days later, authorities discovered the bodies of the four, who had been tortured, in a mass grave. The two-year long conflict in eastern Ukraine has left around 1.5 million people hungry, including almost 300,000 people who are severely food insecure and in need of immediate food assistance.
- Pray for religious freedom.
- Pray for stopping the bloodshed! The violence.
- Pray for the tens of thousands of refugees that have fled from places like Donetsk. 900,000 people have been displaced.
- Pray for the Christians and others working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience.
- Pray for the many heroes born out of this conflict — the men and women who are boldly sharing their faith and helping those caught in the war. Christians and Jews.
Scripture: Psalm 30:4-5
May God add his blessing to the prayers sent today.